Spice up your dinnertime with this beer-inspired curry made with Mama’s Little Yella Pils. Mama knows how to make a dish, and so do the rad dudes at Beer Belly. Check out their insta page here.
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 green chilies de-seeded and thinly sliced
1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
1/2 cup fresh curry leaves, torn into pieces*
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
12 oz Mama’s Little Yella Pils
14 oz can diced tomatoes, unsalted
14 oz can coconut milk
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds. Once seeds start to pop, add fenugreek, chilies, curry leaves and ginger. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add onions and a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until onions are soft and light brown, about 5 minutes. Add Mama’s Little Yella Pils, tomatoes and coconut milk. Stir, cover, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes
3. Meanwhile, toss chicken, coriander, and kosher salt to season. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook, tossing occasionally, until nicely browned on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add chicken to curry, stir, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with steamed rice and/or warm flatbread.
* Note: fresh curry leaves are fragrant and super delicious. Indian grocery stores carry them, or you can also easily find them online. If you’re not about that leaf life, add 2 teaspoons of curry powder with the turmeric and chili powder. It won’t be quite the same, but it’ll still titillate the tastebuds.
** This is a great recipe to customize – use your choice of roasted vegetables, fish, you name it!
Pick up a sixer of Mama’s today and satisfy your curry craving. You can find it near you via the beerfinder.